Wednesday, January 22, 2014

$103 Bologna and a Small, Small World


This past weekend we had our dessert auction and spaghetti supper to raise adoption money for the Davis and Lytle families.  It was a huge success.  The members of Bethel church are such a generous, caring and loving part of our extended family.  I am so blessed to be a part of this group of people.  I don’t know the total number of people that attended, but I do know that a small group of people generously gave $1,942 for the adoption cause.  Our auction is a little unique in that we do not have the desserts at the event, but people buy the opportunity to get the donated dessert when it is most convenient for them.  That way, if you leave with five desserts, you will not go into a sugar coma the next week.  You can space it out over a period of time.  Well, this year we had a donation of BBQ bologna. That sounds like a really weird item for a dessert auction, but it was clearly what the people had been longing for. (Michael wrote that last line in case you couldn’t tell) Michael hates sliced bologna but he loves this stuff.  This tastes so different and in the words of my friend Todd Ford, if you put it on your head and tie your hands behind your back, your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get to it.  We had two three pound “chubs.”  The first one went for $85.00 and the second went for $103.00.  It was such a hit that two others donated $75.00 each for one as well.
Yesterday, I went to the Doctor to have paperwork filled out for our home study. I must have verification from a doctor and blood work to prove that I am healthy and disease free.  After sitting in the waiting room for well over an hour and watching the drama unfold with another patient, I was glad to FINALLY be called back.  Once I got in the room it was several more minutes before the Dr. came in because the drama queen in the waiting room got bumped ahead of me.  I am typically pretty patient in these matters, but we had a dinner to go to that started at 6:30 so I was getting pretty antsy because his office is well over an hour away from my house.  At 4:30 I started to panic a bit.  When my Dr. finally came in, he asked about this home study.  He asked what country we were adopting from, so I answered the Congo.  He asked if we had talked about this before and I said no.  Turns out he lived 10 years of his early childhood in the Congo.  His sister-in- law has adopted from there and they are waiting for exit visas to be issued again to bring their child home.  After that conversation, I didn’t care that I had waited over two and a half hours and even when the nurse wasn’t able to draw blood, because apparently I was all “dried” up, I was thankful for that little nod from heaven.  I do not believe in coincidences.  I believe that every good thing comes from the Lord and that he cares about EVERY SINGLE aspect of my life.  I am thankful for the little gifts that God gives each day to say “keep walking with Me in this small world for I am much bigger than you can even imagine.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment